Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Clothing Fast - Chapter 2

So here I am into chapter 2, Clothing.


I, like Jen Hatmaker would not say clothing is a big deal for me.  Meaning, I do not have a lot of clothing (at least I don't think I do).  I am going to find out pretty soon because I am getting ready to go count how many pieces of clothing I actually have.  I am pretty good at regularly sorting through my and my children's clothing and getting rid of the old, tired or just plain "I'm bored of you" clothing.  But, with that comes replacing those clothes with something new or at least new to me.  A church nearby has a swap shop where I donate most of our clothing.  I usually manage to select a few "new to me" things while I am there.             

I like variety, I like change.





As I go and count my outfits, hoping to also weed out and get rid of a few more things....      I pray that the Lord will make it clear what He wants me to do for the next few weeks.


192 pieces of clothing 
+ a few winter coats 
and I might have missed a few things here and there.  
!!!!   

....and so I am realizing that I actually like to buy things on sale.  I like to get a good deal or even for free at the swap shop.  But, I don't take very much time to coordinate things...for some reason I think that I feel like if I buy a "put together" looking outfit, that I'll look like I spent too much on myself, that I think too highly of myself or that's what others will think of me.  (Hm...fear of man?) But, in reality, because of lack of planning I probably spend more on clothes than I need to and yet still feel like I don't have much that looks put together.  I spend a good bit of time in the morning thinking about what I am going to wear or thinking about what I feel like wearing.....interesting.  


I do work Monday through Friday in an office and so I need to dress appropriately there.  And, although I do not need to dress to the nines, this may be a bit tough for me.  Sunday was the first day for me of CLOTHES FAST, but I am just getting around to posting this now.  This is what I have been/am going to wear for 12 days:


Work:

Black dress pants
Khaki dress pants
White T shirt
Black T shirt
Long sleeved red blouse
Gray long cardigan
Royal blue cardigan

   All other times:  

1 jeans
1 sweatpants
Same white T shirt
Same black T shirt
Same gray long cardigan
1 black zip up hoodie
Same red blouse


I'm not counting underwear (including camis) or shoes because I really only wear one of a couple pairs all the time anyway.  Jewelry:  I am going to wear the same pair of earrings for the 12 days.  This is going to stretch me because like I mentioned, I like change, creativity.


While I've been wearing these things (and I wore jeans, a white T shirt and gray cardigan to church on Sunday which put me out of my comfort zone) I have actually been thinking more about clothes.  

Has anyone else been tempted to go shopping???



I have been looking up information online about minimalist/capsule wardrobes and finding a good bit of information.  There are lots of helpful ideas on how to put together a 7-10 piece wardrobe and they all look quite nice. The problem is that they don't necessarily fit my New Englander lifestyle.  It's March here in New Hampshire and that means some days it may be 50 or 60 degrees during the day and 20 degrees at night...or it could be 40 in the morning and by noon be 20!   We tend to dress in layers adding and subtracting as the day goes along....not to mention coats and boots (mud season!) and gloves, scarves, etc.  So, all those cute mix and match ideas for a seven piece wardrobe could be worn in one day around here. It's not realistic for me, but I hope to use some of the ideas to minimize and make better choices about my clothing...this is one of the things I plan to take away from this fast.  


Here are some videos I think are helpful and have enjoyed watching:


Crystal Paine (Money Saving Mom...love her!) 

I don't necessarily care for some of her clothing choices, but this woman has some great tips and explanations of putting together a capsule wardrobe of 33 items which can ALL fit in a carry on suitcase, including shoes (!).  I think it's impressive and she's entertaining to watch.  













1 comment:

  1. wow. this is such an awesome concept. I hadn't really ever considered it before!

    I congratulate you for being able to do this while working! Such a different challenge!

    ReplyDelete